His solicitor quickly published a masterful example of how to deal with the publicity around issues:
– CHARLOTTE HARRISMax Clifford is being interviewed by police.Mr Clifford will assist the police as best he can with their inquiries.When we are in a position to provide further information, we will.
Notice a number of key elements:
- The statement is very, very brief. The more you say, the more options become available.
- It acknowledges fact(s) that can be easily verified independently; so there's no point trying to hide them.
- It asserts that Mr Clifford will do his duty and co-operate fully, positioning him as a good citizen.
- The final sentence attempts to close down further debate at this point, but in a manner that appears open and helpful.
This is a good boilerplate example to keep hold of as a model to use when appropriate.
Get more like this