The technology frees us up to work pretty much anywhere, and we can get caught up into a multi-media engagement with work, or private, situations that are many miles way from our present location.
But as we concentrate on being an active participant in a conference call, and sometimes have to talk loudly to make a contribution over the background noise, it's vital to remember who else might be listening in.
Here are some of the principles I advise people to follow:
- Be aware of who else can see your screen
- Be conscious of who might be listening in
- Be aware of your present surroundings, not just the remote situation you're trying to engage with
- Be security conscious and keep valuable devices - and the data on them - physically secure, in your presence or locked down
- Keep everything you can protected with passwords and remote-wipe capability